Our Purpose: To Protect and Restore the Environment
We Are Environmentalists
We believe that environmental destruction and climate change are the biggest problems facing humankind today. We believe that in leading by example we can protect and restore the environment. By instituting best practices to reduce our impact on the environment, and by educating staff and customers, we are influencing customers, employees, and many other businesses.
We Take Action to Support and Live MOM's Purpose
- We choose organic products whenever possible. We stock an overall higher percentage of organic items than any other major grocery chain and sell only certified organic produce.
- We buy local whenever possible. This reduces the amount of fuel used to transport products, supports small business and boosts the local economy.
- We support green businesses and highlight companies that use renewable energy to manufacture their products.
- We banned bottled water. Instead, we offer reasonably priced reverse-osmosis filtered water by the gallon, and stock a great selection of tap water filters and reusable bottles.
- We compost! Produce clippings, food waste, bioplastics and non-recyclable paper products are among the many things we compost. Instead of clogging up the landfill, these biodegradable materials are composted into ultra-rich soil that helps revitalize the planet.
- We switched to LED lighting! In 2011, we found the perfect bulb to illuminate the aisles.
- We’ve cut down on plastic. We offer a wide variety of products in bulk, which uses less packaging. We package our products in biodegradable plastic whenever we can and use biodegradable cups, plates and utensils in our sampling and coffee stations.
- We installed energy-efficient hand dryers in the bathroom, eliminating the need for paper towels.
We help others recycle. Our stores have receptacles for compost, CFL bulbs, plastic bags and much more! For more info visit
MOM's Recycling Center.
- We utilize green building materials whenever possible. Renewable materials such bamboo are used to craft our customer service counters. Many wooden fixtures are made from recycled lumber. Various stores have concrete flooring, which requires less servicing and chemical upkeep.
- We love natural light! Many MOM’s locations feature skylights, reducing the need for overhead light fixtures.
- 100% wind power provides us with the electricity to run all of our stores and our central office.
- We conserve energy. MOM's "No Open Doors" policy for fridges, freezers and exterior doors helps us avoid wasting energy used for heating and cooling. We "Power Down" at night by shutting off all unnecessary lights and equipment. We removed half of the fluorescent light bulbs in our office, thereby saving energy and reducing glare.